Monday, July 09, 2007

Le Tour

Ahhh... it's Tour de France time. There's nothing like watching how bad other guys have it to put your own suffering into perspective. I'm sore today - on our ride yesterday we shaved a whole MPH off of our 60-mile route (which is still a pitiful 15.7 MPH average). But I'm not NEARLY as sore as, say, Robbie McEwen who crashed hard, and then came back to win the stage yesterday. I'm willing to bet that he's WAY more sore than I am - the aches that I feel? eh... not so bad then.

The whole tour is roughly 2,205 miles. In just over 3 weeks time. Every day is a ride that I would consider epic. They do it day after day after day. And they can't take anything because of all the doping issues. I don't even think they can take NSAIDs.

On a recent visit to my chiropractor, he mentioned that on some level, I must enjoy pain since I am a cyclist. I thought he was joking, but as I approach weekend totals of 150-miles, its starting to dawn on me that he must be not far from the truth... what is wrong with me? In addition, I heard someone refer to cycling as 'the worlds most cruel sport'. Here's a funny article someone forwarded me yesterday - at least, I thought it was funny.

No comments: