Monday, July 30, 2007

Birthday Continues

So, despite the no-gift birthday, My family did give me some small things that they had apparently purchased before I told them it was a no-gift birthday. One of my gifts was a manila envelope full of past birthday/holiday cards that people had given to me. Most of these cards are from people who have long since passed away, and for once, I was glad my mom saved something & gave it to me. Very strange to see handwriting & messages to the child-me from people who are no longer able to tell me anything.

Until right now, I didn't understand the whole card-giving culture. I figured it was hallmark-invented thing whose sole purpose was for generating money. I GET it now. And when my kids get cards, I am saving every single one of them for them.

The timing of this is perfect - I now see a real good reason to work on making my own photo cards. A lot of the greeting card choices out there are awful, and I can never find one I like. And if you are going to give something to someone that they might keep for 20 or 50 years, it might be nice if you liked the card you give that person in the first place. Once you are gone, that might be all you leave behind to remind them of you. It might as well reflect you accurately.

Because I can never find cards I like, I tend to just not give them. I think I need to adjust my thinking a little bit. Just because the cards I find are BAD doesn't mean I can't make something better. It might mean that other people are looking for better options too... And thus, it looks like K's Aunt is right, and I need to get going on making cards...

No comments: