Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hooray!

Its my birthday. I feel kind of like Sarah Silverman... I can't seem to help myself from telling people. I got carded while buying a bunch of beer & wine for a BBQ I'm having, and even my husband tells the guy 'it's her birthday!' And I added 'but I'm not turning 21'.

So the question is...why do I actually like it this year? Usually I kind of dread it. I think the reason has something to do with the fact that I have mandated it a 'no-gift birthday'. No social awkwardness to be had! I asked my family to donate to our PMC ride in lieu of any and all gifts for this entire year. Suddenly, I don't have to pretend to like something :-)

And as for my hubby, well, I didn't get him anything for his birthday, either. So it all evens out, and suddenly, I can just enjoy the day for the day. Good food, good friends, and of course - naturally- it is stormy out. The house is even clean HOURS in advance of when people are supposed to be here. I got up at 6:30 this morning. And I'm happy about it. I think I've finally just figured out the my birthday dread issues. A huge weight has been lifted.

I think that there is something to be said in just celebrating good health, general happiness, and just being alive.

No comments: