Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Pawtucket Red Sox

I went to the PawSox game today. It was a 12:05 start, and it was sunny & 63 down in Pawtucket. Beautiful. A friend & I sat on the grassy, basked in the sun, and watched the game. Completely relaxing.

Reasons why I prefer minor league games: it seems more baseball-ish. There are more kids. Tickets are $10 or less. You get closer to field & its more intimate. You can see everything & hear the players talking (I swear the outfielders from the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs were throwing grass at each other). You could have a picnic and watch the game. It reminds me of a game I saw in Cooperstown once - real baseball, the way it's supposed to be.

These guys aren't making ridiculous amounts of money, and it's nice to know that. They're on the road all the time, and I bet life is miserable for them at times, and yet they keep playing year after year.

Fenway is great. But you can't GET tickets. You can't enjoy the game because you can't see it, there are loud obnoxious people all around & they are all drunk. It's dirty, it smells bad, and its so loud it gives me a headache. The energy is different, thats true, and the big stars are there. But 'd rather watch the big games on TV at home.

I want to watch Bull Durham now. It struck me how easy it would be for someone to slip their phone number to a player (not that I ever would, but the availability of it is noticeable). How if I were to yell something mean, not only would the players have heard me, but so would the whole stadium, and I would be embarrassed. It's nice. In fact, one of the things you can be ejected for at McCoy Stadium is "Roudyism" - I didn't know that was a word, but they'll throw you out for it. Makes me happy.

No comments: