Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Religious agricultural laws

During the Aufruf on Saturday, I was thinking about the Jewish agricultural laws the Rabbi mentioned. I was curious, especially after reading the "Gift of Good Land" essay by Wendell Berry immediately following the Aufruf. What are the common religious agricultural laws that tend to be repeated over and again in different religions?

For me, that's a tough question. I don't have a strong religious background in any particular religion, although I see that more of as an advantage than a disadvantage: I can see objectively, and I'm equally ignorant of all religions.

I have found, so far, that the laws of Seder Zeraim include dedicating a particular percentage of a yield to supporting the priests and those who serve in the temple, as well as the poor who do not have land of their own (leaving the harvest in the corners for the poor - 1/60 of the field and 1/10th of the produce). One law limits how much you can produce, and prohibits the mixing of seed in the field. Additionally, fields must lie fallow on the seventh year (no pruning, no sowing of seed). There is a prohibition against eating fruit from a tree less than three years old.

I find this fascinating. Written into the instructions for community members to follow year in and year out are laws that help maintain not only the community, but soil health and vitality. Built in fallow periods - very practical. And it might just keep a society from eroding or depleting their soils and eventually starving.

No comments: