Friday, May 02, 2008

Farm work

I was at the CSA farm this morning at 6 am, to work with *J* on planting strawberries. We planted 3 varieties - Sea something-or-other, Early something-or-other (which I think was an ever-bearing) and Sparkle (in order from uphill to down hill). I hope *J* can keep these straight. I think I have enough info to track back and figure it out if necessary, just in case (I wont lose it if I put the info in the blog). We also planted watercress, and re-potted the onions from their flats to keep them going a little longer before we can futher till & mix in compost for their new home.

It is absolutely amazing to me how much faster things go with 2 people. I think *J* was too. We were done before her baby even woke up.

AND I was home by 915 am. Not bad at all. It was a pretty nice way to start my day.

So why did I join a CSA? Maybe I should start with what a CSA is - CSA is short for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, I agree to provide labor once a week in exchange for a share of the farm's crops once a week. Other people buy a share, but I prefer to work for mine, as I have the time and enjoying working and learning. Getting to know people is a nice positive too. It works out well for the farm, too - if you buy your share, you usually buy in advance and the farm KNOWS what it will have income, and someone to buy its produce, and it takes some of the risk out of it. In my case, the farm knows they are getting dependable labor once a week, and *J* doesn't have to pay me anything up front, but can pay me in food when it is available. In exchange, I get stable food prices (dependent upon how the season is - but I get a share of whatever is produced).

There is something very simple to me about working for a share of a farm's produce. I could work somewhere else, make money, and then go buy food. Or I could work directly for the farm, know how the food is grown, and enjoy it more than I would if I had bought it because I have a connection to it. It takes out the middle man, the driving to the store, the gas, the bags, the lines, the hassle. I brought my dog to the farm today - can't do that at a grocery store - she got to play, and I got to be outside, talking with *J* about local issues (I just happened to be working at the same time).

(yes, the dog is lying in a giant mud puddle. We had 3.5 inches of rain earlier this week).

It's a luxury to have the time to make the arrangement work, but I have time. Or, rather, I've made time. This is one of those reasons why I've built my life like I have, and I am lucky to have the ability to do it. There is some value in how I do things - at least to me, and, let's be honest, that's the most important thing. If I can't make myself happy, no one can. And if I don't find value in how I live, then how will anyone else?

No comments: