Friday, August 10, 2007

uh-oh, things a-changin'

"Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay."

~ Robert Frost

I've been frequently reminded of this poem this week. Fall is coming. Its getting lighter later day by day, and its now dark by the time I eat dinner. The flowers are dying, the crickets are loud, and the apples are bright green orbs in the orchards. The fall-only farmstand opened this week. And the light just looks autumn.

I don't know if I am ready for this.

Maybe it's been happening all along, and I'm now just noticing that life is moving on now that I've surfaced after the PMC - but it suddenly feels like we should be eating roasts, and butternut squash ravioli, and picking out pumpkins.

I can't believe another summer is almost over.

No comments: