Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Relics and the tale of Kitchen renovation

Yesterday the other half of k2 & I went to an architectural salvage store in Amesbury, MA. We didn't find what we were looking for (old soapstone farmers sink), but there was an insane amount of really cool, but really dirty/dusty stuff. It reminded me of walking through the attic of the old house that the other 'ki' owned in Arlington Heights.

Mostly, they had old windows, old doors, old mantles, old urinals (from schools, it looked like) and door knobs. Its funny though- looking through all this stuff- it really seems like I'd see a lot of it in people's houses in the past. All the pieces were so familiar, it was comforting. Well, not the urinals, really. but the other stuff :)

We didn't buy a damn thing. But I think I'm hooked now. And I decided that we couldn't afford the sink we want, even if we happened to find it. Upwards of $1000 is too much to spend on a sink. And, apparently, the newly manufactured ones are cheaper than the older ones. Which defies logic to me, but oh well. Back to home depot for the acrylic composite, stain-proof microban sink for under $200. Call me cheap, but this house has way too many problems for me to spend that much on a sink. There is too much work to be done.

We ordered a really cool vent hood/microwave/convection oven from home depot a few weeks ago. the delivery day was supposed to be today (finally), and they were supposed to call me yesterday to set up a delivery time. they didn't call, at least not before I went to bed. They called me at almost 11 p.m. Getting woken up to an automated voice at 11 p.m. is ridiculous. I don't like getting called that late, and you can't tell a machine to go to hell (well, you can, but your point is lost). I thought someone had DIED. And to boot, I wont be home when they want to deliver it. SO... luckily, I'm not ready for it, and I will battle with them today to arrange re-delivery.

Imagine... If i had hired someone to do this for me, they would have to deal with all this crap. BUT it would cost me 4x as much, and all at once, and then I'd have to rely on them to get it RIGHT, and not let the cat out of the house. I'll take the 11 pm automated phone calls, I think...

1 comment:

Marnie said...

I think you're right, it doesn't make sense to pour all that money "down the drain" unless you're Martha Stewart and have the big old farmhouse and the big old bank account to suit the nice old sink. Probably best to stay away from those old urinals too! Who buys those??